“The Des Moines International Airport is continually looking for innovative ways to develop our existing infrastructure as we prepare for additional facility improvements. Musco Lighting has been a terrific partner in our search for products to maintain an efficient airport and pleasant passenger experience.”
— Kevin Foley
Des Moines Airport Authority
The busiest airport in Iowa, Des Moines International Airport (DSM) serviced more than 2.77 million travelers in 2018 – a 7.6 per cent increase in total passengers from the previous year and more than double the projected 3.0 per cent growth. The airport is in the midst of a number of major renovations, and as part of those changes, DSM administrators wanted new lighting to reduce energy consumption and help improve operational efficiency.
After experiencing the performance and reliability of Musco’s prior technology on other areas at the airport, DSM administrators opted to move forward with the company’s Total Light Control – TLC for LED™ system retrofitted on existing columns.
The new lighting system has provided the airport with many benefits:
- Light Quality – Provides better visibility for pilots, ground crews, and air traffic controllers with more uniform light coverage free from glare.
- Colour Rendering – Ground crews are able to better identify packages with the system’s more colour accurate light compared to the prior high-pressure sodium (HPS) floodlighting.
- Energy Efficiency – Cuts energy consumption by 44 per cent compared to the prior HPS lighting.
- Retrofit Solution – Provides complete solution using existing columns with custom mounting brackets, luminaires, remote electrical enclosures, and wire harnesses.
- No Maintenance – Eliminates maintenance costs over the next decade with Musco’s 10-year parts and labour warranty.