While the athletic programs at Mount Mercy University have a well-earned legacy of success, several of the school’s outdoor sports teams lacked a home field of their own. When the University gained approval to build a new sports complex, school leaders wanted a premier venue that would offer a true “home field advantage” to student-athletes and at the same time draw regional and national tournaments. The multi-field complex needed state-of-the-art lighting that would meet the needs of six different sports, achieve light levels necessary for major tournaments and events, and avoid creating glare and spill light that would affect the surrounding residential neighborhood.
- Mount Mercy can now attract major, televised sports events as a result of the systems’ pole placements that allow for necessary camera angles, and light levels that achieve broadcast requirements.
- Student-athletes competing in baseball, softball, track and field, and soccer have an elite home facility with excellent on-field visibility, enabling them to compete at their peak abilities.
- The University was able to overcome challenges posed by the location of the newly built complex, utilizing Musco’s expert design capabilities for a customized system that adapted to the 22-acre former industrial site’s unique dimensions.
- Homeowners in the neighborhood directly surrounding the complex can enjoy dark nights free from glare or spill light, as a result of patented glare control that redirects previously wasted light back onto the complex.
- University staff can instantly control the lights from anywhere with Musco’s Control-Link® service, providing an ideal solution for when tournaments run long or when games have to be rescheduled due to weather.